Raspberry Watermelon Slushies – Made with fresh raspberries and watermelon, these slushies are a delightfully refreshing treat on a hot summer day.
Quick! What do you do with the leftover watermelon and the raspberries you forgot to put in the fruit salad for your son’s graduation party? (This really did happen. I found a great deal on raspberries, bought a bunch, and then totally forgot to add them to the salad.) Berries don’t last long and I didn’t want them to go to waste. So what did I do with them? I made slushies, of course.
Slushies are a great way to use up fruit before it goes bad. Simply pop it into the blender, give it a whirl, and freeze. To make it easier to prepare when you want only one or two servings, freeze the slushie mix in ice-cube trays. When you want a Raspberry Watermelon Slushie, all you have to do is pop out a few cubes, crush them up, and add a little club soda. Pure, delightful refreshment on a warm day – or any day for that matter. Feel free to add other flavors too. I think mint would be a fabulous addition to this slushie, or use lemon instead of lime.
As for sweetness, always taste your fruit before adding any sugar or honey. The sweetness of raspberries and watermelon can vary widely. Some may require no additional sweeteners, while the next batch may need a little boost. It all depends on your taste preferences.
How do you like to use up leftover fruit? Share your ideas in the comments below. I’d love to read them!
Raspberry Watermelon Slushies - Made with fresh raspberries and watermelon, these slushies are a delightfully refreshing treat on a hot summer day.
- 2 c. fresh raspberries
- 2 c. watermelon, diced
- Juice of one lime (about 2 Tbsp.)
- 2 Tbsp. sugar or honey (optional)
- Club soda
- Place all ingredients in a blender and pulse until smooth.
- Pour into ice cube trays and place in freezer. Remove from ice cube tray when frozen and store in freezer bags.
- When ready to use take 5 or 6 cubes and place them into a separate plastic storage bag. Crush with a hammer or other heavy object. I use a sandwich bag and use my larger pestle and mortar to crush it.
- Put the crushed slushie cubes in a small glass and pour club soda just till it reaches the top of the crushed cubes. Stir to combine. Serve immediately.
Check back often for more healthy ideas and recipes. Or better yet, don’t miss a post or new recipe by subscribing by email, or follow me on Twitter, Pinterest, or Bloglovin.
See More Recipes Here