Have you ever seen a box or bag of toasted crostini in the bakery section of your grocery store? I have. They’re great for appetizers or served as a side with another dish. But did you know they’re incredibly easy to make at home too? You only need a few ingredients, your broiler, and about 15 minutes to make your own crispy, delicious crostini. Serve them with your favorite dip or use them as base for other appetizers.
If I can buy them in the store, why should I make crostini at home?
The reasons are simple:
- You can bypass ingredients you don’t want on your crostini, or you can use less – like the amount of salt added.
- You can change up the flavor a bit by using different spices and seasonings to suit your taste and the other foods you’ll be serving it with.
- It’s budget friendly, both in time and money. Crostini takes very little time to make and, aside from the baguette, most people have the other ingredients on hand. If you can find a baguette for 99 cents like I did, it’s definitely budget friendly.
What ingredients do I need?
You only need to two basic items: good quality olive oil (I like and use California Olive Ranch olive oil) and a fresh baguette – preferably whole grain if you can find one. All other ingredients are optional, so don’t feel like you have to have them. I usually add garlic, fresh ground pepper, and little sea salt. Some people like to add a sprinkle of grated parmesan too. If you want a dessert crostini, try adding a little cinnamon or nutmeg. The possibilities are endless.
How to make crostini:
Step 1 – Turn on your broiler and gather your ingredients.
Step 2 – Slice your baguette, lay the slices on a sheet pan and brush with olive oil. Rub the cut side of a clove of garlic over the slices and sprinkle with a little fresh ground pepper and sea salt.
Step 3 – Toast your baguette slices under the broiler for a couple minutes. Then flip the slices over, brush with oil, and return to the oven to finish toasting.
Step 4 – Remove from the oven when slices are golden brown and serve while warm or cool. Store in a cool, dry place and use within a day or two.
Crostini is one of those incredibly easy to make recipes that everyone should try making. Try the recipe below or tailor the flavors to your own tastes. Not sure what to serve it with? Try a tomato and basil bruschetta, your favorite hummus, or spinach and artichoke dip. Even if you don’t have a dip or topping, you can enjoy this crostini all by itself. Enjoy!
I may be compensated through affiliate links in this post. This means if you click on the link and make a purchase, I will receive an affiliate commission. And that helps with expenses to keep this blog going! As always, all opinions are my own and I only recommend products I truly believe in. Thanks for supporting Healthy Ideas Place!
Yields 30-40 slices
Serves 2 slices
You only need a few ingredients, your broiler, and about 10 minutes to make your own crispy, delicious crostini. Serve them with your favorite dip or use them as base for other appetizers.
5 minPrep Time
5 minCook Time
10 minTotal Time
- 1 baguette (preferably whole grain)
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and sliced in half length-wise (optional)
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt (optional)
- 1/4 tsp. fresh ground black pepper (optional)
- Turn on your oven's broiler to high. Cut baguette at an angle into slices, each about 1/4 inch thick and lay flat on a sheet pan.
- Brush cut sides of baguette slices lightly with olive oil. Rub cut side of garlic on top of each baguette slice and sprinkle with a little pepper and salt.
- Place pan in oven about 4 inches from broiler and toast for about 2 minutes, checking at 1 minute and turning the pan if needed to promote even browning.
- Remove from oven and carefully flip over the baguette slices. Be careful as they will be hot! Brush with remaining olive oil. Rub slices with garlic again if desired.
- Return to oven, again about 4 inches from the broiler and toast another 1 to 1 1/2 minutes till edges are golden brown. Check often and watch carefully to prevent overcooking and burning. Remove from oven immediately. Serve warm or cool with your favorite dip.