My refrigerator is an organizational mess. It is. Open the doors and you will see a conglomeration of food. No nice, neat areas reserved for any one food, all organized and easy to find. When six – sometimes seven – people all have access to the fridge, organization is, well, difficult.
Part of the problem right now is that my garden is in full production mode. Everything seems to mature and ripen at the same time – cucumbers, tomatoes, herbs, lettuce, beans, and even a few carrots and onions. It doesn’t care that the vegetable bin is already overflowing and half of another shelf is taken up with bags of lettuce, green beans, and various herbs.
But you know what? I’m okay with that. Why is that? First, it means more fresh veggies available for my family to eat; and second, this scrumptious Summer Salad Bowl.
It’s filled with fresh summertime produce: fresh greens, cucumbers, peppers, red onion, tomatoes, and peaches. For the greens I used romaine lettuce, green leaf lettuce, and spinach from my garden, but you could use whatever greens you have available. I think a mix of massaged kale, leaf lettuce, arugula, or other baby greens would work just as well. The choice is yours.
I topped the greens with sliced red onion, diced cucumbers, red pepper strips, grape tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, cooked toasted quinoa, chickpeas, sliced avocado, and fresh peaches. I dressed it with a fresh peach basil vinaigrette. Every bite bursts with flavor and texture – sweet, savory, crunchy, creamy, and juicy. This Summer Salad Bowl is a winner for lunch or supper, is easy to put together – especially if the veggies are pre-prepped – and scores high nutritionally too.
Anytime you put together lots of vegetables and fruit, you’ll find an abundance of nutrients and plenty of fiber. In this salad bowl quinoa, fresh mozzarella, and chickpeas also supply protein, and avocado gives it a boost of healthy fats. Delicious and nourishing equals a win-win recipe. Enjoy this Summer Salad Bowl. I sure did!
Each bite bursts with flavor and texture – sweet, savory, crunchy, creamy. Summer Salad Bowl is easy to make, nourishing, and a winner for lunch or supper.
- 2 c. fresh greens of choice
- 1/3 c. sliced red pepper
- 1/3 c. diced cucumber
- 1/3 c. halved grape tomatoes
- 1/4 c. sliced red onion
- 1/4 c. canned chickpeas
- 1/4 c. cooked, toasted quinoa
- 1 1/2 oz. fresh mozzarella
- 1/4 of avocado, diced
- 1/2 small peach, diced
- 1/2 small peach, diced
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. fresh chopped basil
- 1/4 tsp. fresh ground pepper
- 1 tsp. honey
- Pinch of kosher salt
- Toast uncooked quinoa slightly in a saucepan on the stovetop. Then cook quinoa according to package directions. Cool or use warm. Quinoa can be prepared ahead of time and cooled.
- Prepare vinaigrette by combining all vinaigrette ingredients (peach, oil, vinegar, basil, pepper, honey, and salt) in a small bowl and blending together with a hand blender.
- Build each salad bowl using the greens as the base and arranging the rest of the salad ingredients on top (red pepper, cucumber, tomatoes, red onion, chickpeas, quinoa, mozzarella, avocado, and peaches)
- Drizzle a couple teaspoons of vinaigrette over each salad bowl and serve.