Watermelon, Blueberry, and Radish Salad with Fresh Lime and Mint Vinaigrette – Sweet, juicy watermelon and blueberries mix with fresh radishes in a lime and mint vinaigrette for a refreshing, delicious salad.
It’s been a busy couple of weeks with the wedding of our oldest daughter last weekend. It was a wonderful day with a beautiful bride and handsome groom. And it went all too fast. The past six months were a flurry of activity getting everything ready, and now it’s done.
In my sun room sit reminders of the day. Tortillas, tomatoes, a watermelon, jars of salsa, and a variety of pitchers, jars, and other items used for serving food. My fridge is stuffed with leftovers as well –wedges of watermelon, fresh blueberries, and slices of fresh lime. We catered the hot food and did the rest ourselves to help cut down on costs – which it did. One thing I learned, though, is that I am not a caterer. I tried to estimate how much food we’d need based on the number of people attending, but I over-estimated . . . just a little. It wasn’t bad, but we did have more food left over than we should have.
One thing left-overs do, though, is force you to think outside the box to see what you can make with them. That’s where this salad comes in. Pairing watermelon with blueberries was easy. They complement each other very well in taste and appearance. I added the radishes because the French breakfast radishes I planted earlier this year were ready to be picked. And yes, radishes do go with watermelon and blueberries. Sweet and spicy make a tasty combination, and the lime and fresh mint vinaigrette pull it all together. I topped it with fresh microgreens for a little color and added nutrients; and a little feta cheese balances the sweet and spicy with just the right amount of saltiness.
Now that the wedding is over and I have a plan for our leftovers, it’s time to relax, get back to our usual routines, and enjoy a little bit of this Watermelon, Blueberry, and Radish Salad. Scroll down for the recipe.
Watermelon, Blueberry, and Radish Salad with Lime and Fresh Mint Vinaigrette
For the Salad
- 4 c. cubed watermelon cut about 1 to 1 1/2 inches in diameter
- 1 c. fresh blueberries
- 1/2 c. thinly sliced radishes
- 2 Tbsp. Feta cheese
- 1/4 to 1/2 c. microgreens
For the Vinaigrette
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 1 Tbsp. fresh mint coarsely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp. honey
- 1 dash kosher salt about 1/16 tsp.
- 1 dash freshly ground pepper about 1/16 tsp.
- In a medium sized bowl, toss together the watermelon cubes, blueberries and sliced radishes.
- Prepare vinaigrette by placing lime juice, mint, olive oil, honey, salt, and pepper in a jar or small bowl. Blend together with a stick blender till mint in finely chopped and all ingredients are mixed well. You could also try using a small blender to make the vinaigrette.
- Pour vinaigrette over the watermelon mixture and stir gently till fruit and radishes are evenly coated.
- Scatter feta cheese on top of the salad, followed by the microgreens.
- Serve immediately. Refrigerate leftovers.