Pomegranate-Cranberry Chicken – Tender cooked chicken breasts topped with a sweet and spicy pomegranate-cranberry sauce with just the right touch of heat.
Hello friends! It’s time for another update to one of our favorite recipes – Pomegranate-Cranberry Chicken. This was one of the first entrée recipes I published on Healthy Ideas Place, and it needed to be written in a standard recipe format for easier reading and printing. New and better photos were badly needed as well.
I added it to our January menu, set up my photography lights (because taking food pictures with natural light, in the middle of winter, is challenging when you live up north and it’s dark by the time you have supper ready) and took some new photos. Other than that, the recipe remains the same. You’ll get chicken breasts cooked and topped with a sweet pomegranate-cranberry sauce that has a little heat to it. If you prefer no spicy heat, just omit the cayenne pepper. If you like it a little hotter, just add a bit more.
Pomegranate juice and cranberries. Both are high in anti-oxidants and rich in vitamins, making this a healthy combination. Since I had cranberries left from Thanksgiving and had purchased some pomegranate juice when it was on sale, I was trying to think of something to make with both of these. After making “Pan-Glazed Chicken with Basil” from Cooking Light’s 5 Ingredient 15 Minute Cookbook the inspiration was there, and I decided to try a chicken dish with a pomegranate-cranberry sauce. The result was delicious, Pomegranate-Cranberry Chicken! Hope you enjoy it!
Yields Serves 6
Pomegranate-Cranberry Chicken - Tender cooked chicken breasts topped with a sweet and spicy pomegranate-cranberry sauce with just the right touch of heat.
- 1 1/2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil (optional)
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 3/4 c. unsweetened pomegranate juice
- 1/4 c. red wine vinegar
- 1/4 c. honey
- 1 tsp. crushed rosemary
- 1/2 tsp. crushed thyme
- 1 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 c. fresh or frozen cranberries
- Pomegranate arils for garnish
- Sprinkle both sides of chicken with kosher salt and pepper. Spray non-stick skillet with cooking spray or use cast-iron skillet heated with 1 Tbsp. olive oil.
- Whisk together pomegranate juice, red wine vinegar, honey, rosemary, thyme, onion powder, and cayenne pepper.
- Cook chicken breasts in pan over medium heat 4 min., then flip chicken over and cook 4-5 minutes more. Turn again after 2 min. and repeat until chicken is done, but not overcooked. Remove from pan and cover with foil.
- Add pomegranate mixture to pan along with cranberries and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer till cranberries are softened and sauce has thickened to desired consistency - about 5-10 minutes. Cranberries can be crushed or left whole.
- Return chicken breasts to pan and drizzle sauce over chicken. Garnish with fresh pomegranate arils. Serve immediately.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. And that means if you purchase a product through my link, I may receive a small commission, at no additional cost to you. It will, however, help keep this site running. As always, I only recommend products I believe in. Thanks for your support!