Roasted Broccoli and Cauliflower, seasoned with lemon, garlic and parmesan, makes a bright savory side dish perfect for dinner.My mom almost always had a vegetable on the table at dinner. Usually it was something from the garden – peas, carrots, corn, beans, broccoli, tomatoes – you name it we probably had it. She had a big garden. Most of the time she would simply boil the vegetable and season it with a butter and a little salt.
Fast forward a few years and the trend was to steam vegetables. Boiling them caused too many nutrients to leach out into the water, which most people drained off. So as a new dietitian I most often recommended steamed vegetables to clients, lightly seasoning them with something other than butter or salt. This also kept in line with the low-fat thinking of the day.
We’ve come a long way since then, my friends. Very seldom do I bring out my steamer basket these days; and I honestly can’t remember the last time I boiled a vegetable other than potatoes. Right now, roasting is hands down my favorite way to cook vegetables. I’ve talked it about it before with my Maple Balsamic Roasted Winter Vegetables and my Herb Roasted Root Vegetables.
Why is roasting so great?
- It’s easy to prep the vegetables, pop them in a hot oven, and forget about them till they’re done. No need to watch and see if you need more water or if they’re about ready to boil over on the stove top.
- They taste better. Roasting enhances the natural flavor of the vegetables. And anything that tastes better is more likely to be consumed by the people for whom you’re cooking.
- Clean up is a snap if you line the pan with foil. Just pull it off the pan and wash – not much scrubbing required. Even the pan I used for this Roasted Broccoli and Cauliflower cleaned up easily.
Today we’re roasting broccoli and it’s long time friend, cauliflower, and seasoning them just right with lemon, garlic, and parmesan. I’m in love with this flavor combination and hope you will be too. Fresh lemon juice and garlic is a must for that bright backdrop of lemon and garlic on the roasted broccoli and cauliflower. So good. And if you have any leftovers they’re great chopped up and added to a frittata – recipe coming in the future.
Broccoli and cauliflower come together with fresh lemon and garlic to make a savory, bright side dish perfect for dinner.
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
- 1 small bunch fresh broccoli
- 1/2 head cauliflower
- 2 Tbsp. grated parmesan cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 450° F. Prepare a 9 x 13 inch baking pan by spraying it with non-stick pan spray. Or line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and spray with pan spray.
- To make marinade, combine olive oil and fresh lemon juice in a small bowl. Add minced garlic, kosher salt, and cracked pepper and set aside.
- Cut broccoli and cauliflower into florets of similar size. You can use the longer broccoli stems too. Place into a large bowl.
- Swirl the marinade to mix the ingredients together again and pour all but 1 Tbsp. onto the broccoli and cauliflower. Sprinkle 1 Tbsp. of grated parmesan into the bowl. Toss all ingredients together until the marinade and parmesan cheese are distributed evenly. I find it easiest to use my hands to do this.
- Spread the broccoli and cauliflower mixture evenly into the prepared pan. Sprinkle with remaining parmesan.
- Bake at 450° F for 20 to 25 minutes or just until fork-tender. Remove from oven and drizzle with remaining marinade. Serve immediately
Check back often for more healthy ideas and recipes. Or better yet, don’t miss a post or new recipe by subscribing by email, or follow me on Twitter, Pinterest, or Bloglovin.
See More Recipes Here