Roasted Asparagus with Parmesan and Garlic – fresh asparagus roasted until tender and seasoned with parmesan and garlic. Simple and easy recipe! Delicious!
My taste for asparagus has come a long way since the days of my childhood. It’s always been one of my favorite vegetables. Mom usually cooked it in boiling water till it was pretty much mush. But I still loved it. Sometimes she’d drain it and then make creamed asparagus, which was okay, but not the best. Since then I’ve branched out a bit and tried other methods of preparing asparagus.
I’ve gone from steaming to grilling to roasting. And while all those methods are great, roasting is by far my favorite and the one I turn to most often when cooking asparagus. Maybe I love roasted asparagus because it so simple to do, or because you can easily vary your seasonings all while using the same cooking method. Perhaps it’s because roasting brings out the wonderful flavors found in asparagus – earthy undertones, subtly sweet, light and mellow. I’m not really sure. I just know I like the process and I like the results it gives.
While roasted asparagus can be prepared using a variety of seasonings, I think the my favorite recipe is one that combines garlic with parmesan cheese – like this Roasted Asparagus with Parmesan and Garlic that I’m sharing with you today. These ingredients complement the mild flavors of asparagus quite nicely. But if you’re not a fan of garlic and parmesan cheese, try other seasonings till you find a combination you like.
Be sure to use fresh asparagus and trim the end from each spear. The lower part of an asparagus spear is usually a little woody and has a bitter taste; as such, it is removed before cooking. You can do this by snapping it at the point where it gives when you bend the spear or cut a couple inches off using a sharp knife.
Nutritionally, asparagus is an excellent source of vitamin K, rich in fiber, and low in calories. It’s a definitely a healthy option to add to your diet, whether roasted asparagus or prepared in another manner. Enjoy!
Roasted Asparagus with Parmesan and Garlic
- 1 - 1 1/2 lb. fresh asparagus ends trimmed
- 4 tsp. olive oil divided
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
- 4 tsp. grated parmesan cheese
- Pre-heat oven to 400°F.
- Place cleaned and trimmed asparagus spears in a gallon Ziploc plastic bag or large bowl.
- Add 1 Tbsp. olive oil to asparagus and move spears around in order to evenly distribute oil.
- Add in garlic, kosher salt, pepper, and parmesan cheese. Close bag and gently shake or move spears around to coat all spears with the other ingredients.
- Place prepared asparagus on large, rimmed baking sheet (jelly-roll pan).
- Set pan of asparagus in oven and roast at 400°F for 15-20 minutes or until asparagus is fork-tender. Serve immediately.