We made burgers the other night. I know, I know – burgers are not seen as the healthiest food item for a menu. They usually bring with them excess fat, sodium, and calories. But my family has a recipe we’ve enjoyed for years. It’s not a typical burger, but has layers of savory flavor. Basil. Garlic. sun-dried tomatoes. Red onion. You can find the original recipe in the cookbook: Build a Better Burger by James McNair.
But I wanted to see if I could make it a bit healthier without losing all that wonderful flavor. The original recipe called for ground sirloin (definitely a leaner choice for ground beef). To reduce the fat even further I substituted half of the ground sirloin with lean ground turkey.
Instead of garlic salt I used garlic powder and a small amount of kosher salt. I also substituted finely ground oatmeal for the breadcrumbs making them gluten-free (make sure your oats are gluten-free and not cross-contaminated with other gluten-containing foods). The result – these burgers were just as tasty as the original, and healthier too!
Grilled Burgers - A Recipe Makeover
- 1 1/4 lb. lean ground sirloin 90% lean
- 1 1/4 lb. lean ground turkey
- 1/3 c. finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/3 c. chopped sun-dried tomatoes (packed in oil)
- 1/4 c. red wine I used shiraz
- 1/3 c. finely chopped fresh basil
- 2-3 Tbsp. finely ground oatmeal
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. crushed rosemary leaves
- In a large bowl gently mix together the ground sirloin and ground turkey.
- Add remaining ingredients to the meat. For the oatmeal start with 2 Tbsp., adding more if the meat mixture appears too loose.
- With your hands carefully work all the ingredients together without over mixing.
- Divide into 8 to 10 balls and form into patties.
- Grill on medium to medium-high heat that has been preheated. We like to grill for 2 1/2 to 3 minutes, turn 1/4 turn. Grill for another 2 1/2 to 3 minutes, flip. Grill second side for 2 1/2 to 3 minutes, turn 1/4 turn. Then finish by grilling another 2 1/2 to 3 minutes. Be safe and make sure the internal temperature reaches 160 degree F for a minimum of 15 seconds.
- Serve immediately with your favorite toppings.
We decided to serve them with grilled onions and grilled portabella mushrooms, and topped them with a sprinkle of feta cheese. Oh my, were they good. So go ahead and try them. The 4th of July is just a couple of days away and what could be better than a healthier, great-tasting burger on the grill? Enjoy!