I love cucumbers. They’re one of my favorite summer time vegetables. But when the cucumber vines in my garden have a prolific year, I find myself thinking of different ways to use up all the cucumbers I harvest. Even if you don’t have a garden, you may find your CSA box filled to the brim with these long or short green fruits; or maybe you picked up a few too many at the local farmer’s market. Whatever the case, I have a few ideas for you on how to incorporate more cucumbers in your meals and snacks.
Though not considered a nutritional powerhouse, cucumbers are a refreshing, healthy choice to add to any meal. botanically speaking it’s a fruit, but nutritionally we treat it like a vegetable. Cucumbers are low in calories with only about 8 calories in a half-cup of raw slices. They’re also low in fat, saturated fat, and cholesterol, and a good source of vitamin C and vitamin K.
Cucumbers are usually eaten raw, but they are often pickled, and can be cooked too. From salads to soups to garnishes they can add a touch of crunch or a make a refreshing main course. Here are some of my favorite ways to use them.
- Eat them raw. Peeled or unpeeled – the choice is yours. Just wash it and cut into slices or spears for a light snack or side dish.
- Pair cucumbers with sliced onions and top with a light vinaigrette.
- Make creamy cucumbers using Greek yogurt instead of sour cream.
- Turn them into pickles.
- Scoop out the seeds and use them to hold your favorite tuna salad recipe.
- Slice them and use them as a garnish with your meal.
- Dice them into a chopped salad or Tabbouleh salad.
- Add them to a dinner salad.
- Slice and layer them into a sandwich, wrap, or sub sandwich.
- Turn them into a soup – cold or cooked.
Here are a few more recipes and ideas to get you started:
Cucumber Boats with Spicy Hummus by Veganosity
Goat Cheese and Mint Pesto Sandwich by So, How’s It Taste?
Chilled Cucumber Soup by Garlic and Zest
Cucumber Stackers by Brittany’s Pantry
Grilled Beef Kabobs with Avocado Cucumber Tzatziki by Joyful Healthy Eats
Simple Skinny Cucumber Salad by Healthy Seasonal Recipes
Cucumber Mango Bruschetta by The Fresh Find
Cucumber & Dill Sandwich by Peanut Butter and Peppers
Bulgur Salad with Cherry Tomatoes, Cucumber and Spinach by Green Valley Kitchen
Vietnamese Noodle Salad by Simple Healthy Kitchen
Fresh Cucumber Smoothie by Dutch Goes Italian
East African Mango & Cucumber Salad by The Wanderlust Kitchen
Cucumber Avocado Soup by Three Beans on a String
Kale Tabbouleh with Cucumber, Mint and Garlic Scapes by Simple Bites
Raw Cucumber Avocado Sushi by Harriet Emily
Cucumber Salad with Vinaigrette Dressing by Five Spot Green Living
What’s your favorite cucumber dish? I’d love to hear about it in the comments below.
You May Also Enjoy These: