Quinoa Dressing with Mushrooms and Almonds
For a gluten free stuffing, try this Quinoa Dressing with Mushrooms and Almonds! Gluten free and a delicious and healthier holiday side dish! #Thanksgiving #recipes
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time40 mins
Total Time1 hr
deep skillet with lid
- 1 c. Quinoa, toasted*
- 1/3 c. Slivered almonds, toasted*
- 1 c. Sliced celery
- 2 c. Sliced fresh mushrooms
- ¾ c. Diced onion
- 2 c. Chicken broth, reduced sodium
- 2 T. Olive oil
- 2 Cloves garlic, minced
- ½ c. Dried cranberries (optional)
- ¼ c. finely chopped fresh parsley (may substitute 1 Tbsp. dried parsely)
- 1 tsp. Rubbed sage, ground
- ¼ tsp. White pepper
- ¼ tsp. kosher salt (optional)
Heat olive oil in deep skillet and saute onion and celery in hot oil till tender, about 5 minutes.
Add garlic and cook another 2 minutes. Stir in mushrooms and cook an addtional 3 to 4 minutes until tender.
Stir in toasted quinoa, toasted almonds, broth, cranberries, parsley, sage, and white pepper.
Bring to a boil.
Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 20 to 25 minutes, or until quinoa is tender.
Remove from heat. Taste and add salt if desired. Fluff with fork and serve hot. May be made the day before and then reheated at 350°F until heated through, about 30 minutes.
- *To save time on cooking day, prep the ingredients the day before. This will greatly reduce the amount of time needed to prepare the recipe.
- *Toast quinoa in skillet over medium-low heat for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring or shaking occasionally. Remove when fragrant and quinoa starts to "pop".
- *Toast almonds in small skillet over medium-low heat for 5 minutes or until almonds are golden brown and fragrant. Watch closely as they can burn easily.