When deciding what’s for dinner in the coming week, I usually start out with a few menu ideas. I look at Pinterest or recipe sites for inspiration when I feel stuck or in a rut and want to try something new. Sometimes, though, I find inspiration in my local grocery store.
I did this the other night while out with my husband. My menu wasn’t done yet, but I had a rough idea of what I wanted to make this week. So, instead of going home and then back out again to shop, we decided to go grocery shopping right then. Doing so led me to a couple great deals that I incorporated into our menu this week.
Asparagus was on sale; and I love asparagus. It’s one of my favorite vegetables. That’s why you’ll find my Roasted Asparagus with Parmesan and Garlic on the menu this week. I also found a good sale on some specialty Italian sausages that will make a nice addition to some whole grain penne pasta and marinara sauce. Spring lettuce and baby romaine took a spot on the menu as well. I might have missed those deals and fresh ideas had we gone home first. They weren’t part of the plan I had in my mind. Have you ever done that and come home with new ideas for the week? Let me know in the comments below!
Menu planning tip: Sometimes it’s okay to go shopping first to look for deals and inspiration for your menu. Then, plan your menu around the sales or new things you find that you’d like to try.
Here’s what’s for dinner at Healthy Ideas Place this week:
- Monday: Slow cooker red lentil soup, romaine and spring lettuce salad, Apple Cider Turmeric Vinaigrette
- Tuesday: Penne pasta with Italian sausage and marinara sauce, Roasted Asparagus with Parmesan and Garlic
- Wednesday: Crockpot Mexican Quinoa Chicken Casserole (from Create Kids Club), green salad
- Thursday: Whole grain spaghetti with meatball sauce, roasted zucchini and yellow squash slices
- Friday: Out
- Saturday: Grilled sirloin, honey ginger roasted carrots, sautéed mushrooms
- Sunday: Leftovers