Warm Tzatziki Chicken Wraps – Enjoy this healthy and easy to make chicken wrap recipe with wonderful Mediterranean flavors like lemon, sumac, and thyme.
I recently answered a question about which foods dietitians regularly keep in their pantry, refrigerator, or freezer. Pantry items were pretty easy to list since I’ve written about that previously here. Freezer items were easy too as I make and freeze a lot of homemade tomato sauce each year. But I hadn’t really thought about what I routinely keep in my refrigerator until now.
I like cooking with fresh ingredients when I can, so I found that I almost always have things on hand like bell peppers (any color will do but I particularly like the red and orange ones), onions, lemons, and spinach. In the summer, add in some fresh herbs I harvest from the pots on my front porch, and I can make a lot of different meals with these ingredients.
The Warm Tzatziki Chicken Wraps recipe I’m sharing today uses all those ingredients . . . plus a couple more. It’s a healthy and easy to make chicken wrap with tasty Mediterranean flavors like sumac, lemon, thyme, garlic, mint, and tzatziki sauce.
The filling is made with thin sliced chicken marinated for a short time in lemon juice and spices, then cooked in a skillet. I add lots of the veggies I listed above, like red peppers, onions, tomatoes, and spinach, and then cook them just till tender.
For the wrap I use a whole grain wrap, but you can use whatever kind you prefer. I like using whole grain for the flavor as well as the added fiber and nutrients. Flatbread or pita bread would work well too. I spread a little tzatziki sauce on the wrap, spoon on some of the filling, and add a little chopped fresh mint if I have some. Then I fold in the bottom of the wrap and roll the sides together to form a wrap that I can pick up with my hand and eat. Warm chicken wraps plus tzatziki sauce, well, it’s just so good.
The beauty of this recipe is that you don’t even have to make it into a wrap. It’s just as good on a bed of fresh greens, a scoop of farro, or even just by itself.
Here’s a few cooking tips for this Warm Tzatziki Chicken Wraps recipe:
- Use a large skillet that has a cover. I add the spinach at the last minute, then cover and remove from heat. Having the cover on allows the spinach to cook slightly from the steam and not be overcooked.
- Prep your veggies ahead of time in order to save time when you make the wrap. This can be part of your weekly food prep time or even done the evening or morning before.
- Save a little fresh mint to use as a garnish and burst of fresh flavor after you fill the wrap.
- If you don’t have fresh herbs, you can use dry, just use less (about 1/3 of the amount of fresh herbs listed). For example, if the recipe calls for 1 Tbsp. of fresh chopped mint, use 1 tsp. of dried mint. Dried herbs are more concentrated, so you generally don’t need as much.
Yields Serves 4 to 5
Warm Tzatziki Chicken Wrap - Healthy and easy to make chicken wrap recipe with wonderful Mediterranean flavors like lemon, sumac, and thyme. Delicious!
20 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
35 minTotal Time
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
- Juice from 1/2 of a fresh lemon or about 2 Tbsp. bottled lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. fresh thyme (1 tsp. dried)
- 1 tsp. each dried sumac and oregano
- 1/4 tsp. each kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. garam masala
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 2 c. grape tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic, sliced thin
- 1 red pepper, sliced thin
- 1/2 sweet onion, sliced
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh mint (more if you'd like some for a garnish)
- 2 c. lightly packed baby spinach
- Whole grain tortilla or flatbread wraps
- Tzatziki sauce - about 1 Tbsp. per wrap
- Place sliced chicken in medium-sized bowl and stir in cornstarch till all pieces are coated. Add lemon juice, thyme, sumac, oregano, salt, black pepper, and garam masala. Mix well and set aside.
- Place grape tomatoes into a small bowl and add the sliced garlic and 1 tsp. of olive oil, stirring to mix well.
- Heat the remaining 2 1/2 tsp. oil over medium to medium-high heat in a non-stick skillet that has a cover. Do not cover. Add chicken and cook, stirring frequently, about 3 to 4 minutes. Push to one side and add pepper strips and onion slices. Continue cooking another 2-3 minutes, gradually mixing everything together in the pan.
- Stir in mint, grape tomatoes and garlic and cook until tomatoes and slightly softened, about 2-3 minutes. Spread spinach on top of the chicken/vegetable mixture. Cover and remove from heat. Let sit 2 minutes, then remove cover and gently fold everything together.
- For each wrap, spread about 1 Tbsp. Tzatziki sauce on the wrap. Add desired amount of the chicken and vegetable filling. Starting at about 1 inch from the bottom, fold in the tortilla wrap, then starting on one adjoining side, roll the wrap together. Serve immediately.