Spinach, Arugula & Pomegranate Salad with Cranberry Citrus Vinaigrette. Sweet, tart, creamy & crunchy make a healthy salad that’s a treat for the taste buds.
I meant to post this recipe a few weeks ago. However, life gets in the way sometimes and good things, like this salad recipe, are put on hold. But it’s a new day and now is a great time to share this wonderfully delicious salad with all kinds of fresh ingredients.
Enter Spinach, Arugula and Pomegranate Salad with Cranberry Citrus Vinaigrette. There’s so much going on in this dish – sweet and tart, creamy and crunchy – and it all works together to make a salad that’s a treat for the taste buds. What’s more, it’s filled with an abundance of health promoting nutrients. The bonus? It’s beautiful! And it’s the perfect salad to take to that get-together with friends or family.
I start with a variety of greens, like spinach, arugula, kale, and red leaf lettuce. Then I add shaved Brussels sprouts, toasted spiced walnuts, fresh orange segments, and Gorgonzola cheese. All that’s needed after that is a drizzle of homemade Cranberry Citrus Vinaigrette. Seriously, this salad has become a favorite in the short time it’s been around.
Nutritionally, it’s got a lot going for it: fiber, Vitamins A and C, a bit of protein from the cheese and walnuts, healthy fats, antioxidants and other nutrients – definitely a nutritional gem. This Spinach, Arugula and Pomegranate Salad makes a wonderful side dish with a meal or a tasty lunch all by itself. Why not try making it today?
Time-Saving Salad Tips:
- Use plain toasted walnuts or purchase walnuts already spiced and toasted
- Buy Brussels sprouts that are already shaved or sliced
- Instead of a whole pomegranate, buy arils that have already been removed from the pomegranate
- Use pre-chopped kale instead of chopping your own
- Feel free to substitute your favorite vinaigrette for the homemade Cranberry Citrus Vinaigrette
If you try making this salad, won’t you please leave a note and rating below and let me know how you like it? Also, if you snap a picture of it, please share with me on Instagram or Pinterest and tag it #healthyideasplace. Enjoy!
Yields 4 servings
30 minPrep Time
30 minTotal Time
- 1 c. walnuts
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/8 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. each cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice
- 1 tsp. orange zest
- Juice from 1/2 an orange (about 1 1/2 Tbsp.)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1/4 c. cranberries, coarsely chopped
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 1/2 tsp. ginger
- 1 tsp. chopped scallion
- 1/4 c. extra virgin olive oil
- pinch of salt
- 1 c. red leaf lettuce, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1 c. baby spinach
- 1 c. arugula
- 1 c. chopped kale
- 1 c. shaved Brussels sprouts
- 1 c. pomegranate arils
- 1 orange, peeled, sectioned, and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 c. toasted, spiced walnuts
- 1/4 c. Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Whisk together the salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and brown sugar in a small bowl. Pour the 1 Tbsp. olive oil over the walnuts in a medium bowl and stir. Add mixed sugar and spices to the walnuts and toss together till spices and sugar are distributed evenly over the walnuts.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread prepared walnuts evenly in one layer on the parchment paper. Toast in preheated oven for 10 minutes, until fragrant. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Make the Cranberry Citrus Vinaigrette by first zesting the orange. Mix together the red wine vinegar, orange juice, chopped cranberries, honey, salt, ginger, chopped scallion, and orange zest in a small bowl. Pour in the olive oil. Using a hand blender, blend all the vinaigrette ingredients together until smooth. Store in refrigerator until ready to use.
- In a large bowl, toss together the red leaf lettuce, spinach, arugula, chopped kale, and Brussels sprouts. Top with spiced walnuts, oranges, Gorgonzola cheese crumbles, and pomegranate arils. Served immediately with Cranberry Citrus Vinaigrette or your favorite dressing.
If not serving immediately, wait to add the cheese until closer to serving time.