Since I’m a food blogger and dietitian, my kids have become accustomed to seeing new recipes, like this naan pizza, appear on the dinner table. They are, and always have been, my taste testers ever since I started this blog.
But their taste testing feedback has evolved over the years. When they were younger, they voiced pretty basic comments about the recipe. I heard things like: this is good, I don’t like this, and, of course, the occasional yuck.
Now that they’re older, their tastes are a little more refined. They help more in the kitchen and are more adventurous in what they’re willing to try. The feedback they provide is more helpful, too. Now I hear things like – it needs a little more salt, it’s a little dry, or I like these flavors together.
When I set this Naan Pizza with Peaches, Basil, and Fresh Mozzarella on the dinner table the other night, I heard this after the first few bites: “How do these flavors work together?” In other words, while he wasn’t sure about pairing these ingredients together, he was pleasantly surprised when he tried it and found he liked it.
That wouldn’t have happened a few years ago. The preconceived idea that this naan pizza wouldn’t be good would have prevailed. It would have taken more familiarity with the dish to get him to accept it and like it. Parents of young kids, take heart. Keep offering a variety of foods in a relaxed setting, and they’ll likely expand their tastes as they get older.
All that being said, this dish is a winner with flavors that do work together very well. The base is naan bread, preferably whole grain. On that you spread a blend of balsamic vinegar and extra-virgin olive oil. Top this with thin sliced red onion, chopped mint, fresh peach slices, chopped basil, and fresh mozzarella. After it’s baked, drizzle on a little balsamic and more fresh basil. Cut into wedges or slices and serve warm. Delicious!
Naan Pizza with Peaches, Basil, and Fresh Mozzarella - Easy to make and healthy, Naan bread is topped with peaches, basil, and fresh mozzarella. Delicious!
15 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
Yields 2-3 servings
- 1 naan bread
- 1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1-2 Tbsp. thin sliced red onion
- 1-2 tsp. chopped fresh mint
- 1/2 large peach, sliced thin
- 1-1 1/2 Tbsp. chopped, fresh basil (divided)
- 1 1/2 - 2 oz. fresh mozzarella, sliced thin
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Place naan bread on baking sheet. Whisk together balsamic vinegar and extra-virgin olive oil and brush onto top of naan. Scatter onion slices and fresh mint evenly over the naan.
- Place sliced peaches on top of the onion and mint and top with fresh mozzarella slices and half of basil.
- Place in hot oven and bake for 10-12 minutes or until peaches are soft and cheese has melted.
- Remove from oven. Drizzle on a little more balsamic, if desired, and top with remaining chopped fresh basil. Slice into pie wedges or strips and serve warm