Homemade Salsa with Tomatoes and Mango – Fresh tomatoes and mango make a healthy, savory-sweet salsa with lots of flavor and a touch of heat.
My heart feels a bit heavy tonight. There’s so much going on in the world these days: hurricanes, wildfires, earthquakes, people close to me dealing with hurt emotions. It makes me sad if I focus on it too much. And while we all need to know what’s happening around us, we also need to be able to refocus on the positives in life and lift ourselves back up.
So how do you pick yourself up when you’re feeling that way? Here are a few things I’ve found helpful.
- Exercise – After a nice run or brisk walk, I feel those endorphins working to lift up my mood.
- Gratitude – Often, I try to list out things I’m thankful for. An attitude of gratitude is a healthy way to refocus on the good around us.
- Nature – I also like to work in the garden. There’s something about being outside and working in the dirt that always makes me feel better.
- Share – I like to share our blessings with others. One way I do that is by giving away some of the tomatoes and other goodies I grow in our garden. Another way is by making something and sharing it with others – like this Homemade Salsa with Tomatoes and Mango.
This recipe is one of our favorites, and a tasty way to incorporate all kinds of healthy vegetables and fruit into our meals. Tomatoes are rich in potassium and vitamins C and A, but low in calories. Mangoes are also a good source of vitamins C and A, and have a fair amount of fiber too. With the addition of hot peppers, they make a savory-sweet salsa with lots of flavor and a little bit of heat.
This homemade salsa is healthy, and quick and easy to make. Why not make some today and share it with your friends or neighbors? It’ll do your heart good.
Homemade Salsa with Tomatoes and Mango
- 1 mango peeled and diced
- 7-8 small Roma or paste tomatoes diced
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 large cloves garlic minced
- 2 small jalapeno peppers finely chopped
- 1 Ancho pepper diced
- 1-2 Tbsp. fresh cilantro chopped
- 1/2 to 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. coriander
- juice of 1 fresh lime
- Mix together the mango, tomatoes, onion, garlic, jalapeno peppers, and diced ancho pepper. Sprinkle with salt.
- Season with cumin, coriander, and fresh cilantro. Mix all together and squeeze lime juice on top, stirring gently to blend.
- Serve with tortilla chips and enjoy!