I have vivid memories of sitting at the table as a small child and my mom coaxing me to eat the beets on my plate. They’ll make your blood red she’d say – they don’t, but that’s what she said. I‘d just stare at the red, slippery round slices in disgust. I really, really didn’t like beets. Never have – until I discovered roasted beets. After visiting our local farmer’s market this summer I thought it was about time I try them again. After all, it’s been some 40 odd years since I decided I didn’t like them. And tastes change, right? They’re also a good source of potassium, folate, and fiber. So, I bought some and tried roasting them with other root vegetables and herbs. They were delicious! I’ll still probably not try beets in the slippery red sauce in which my mom prepared them, but I’ll definitely try them roasted again. Roasting brings out wonderful flavors in root vegetables, caramelizing them just a bit. Mixed with fresh herbs, a little kosher salt, and olive oil and we have a winner. Hope you enjoy them as much as I did!
Everything’s almost ready to go into the oven.
1 hrCook Time
1 hrTotal Time
- 6-7 small, fresh beets, washed and diced (reserve about 1 c. of the beet greens)
- 1/2 large sweet onion cut into wedges
- 5 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 4-5 potatoes, cut into chunks
- 1-2 Tbsp. fresh thyme
- 1-2 Tbsp. fresh rosemary
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 c. water
- Coat bottom of 9×13 in. baking dish with 1 Tbsp. olive oil.
- Place potatoes, carrots, onions, and beets in the prepared pan.
- Sprinkle evenly with chopped fresh rosemary and thyme, kosher salt, and remaining olive oil.
- Roast at 375 F for 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and add 1 c. torn beet greens and 1/2 c. water.
- Return to oven and roast for 15 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender.
- Remove from oven and serve.
You May Also Enjoy These: