I used to think salsa was pretty much made from tomatoes, peppers, and onions. In fact, most of the dictionaries I checked define it that way: a spicy sauce made from tomatoes, peppers, and onions. But there is more than one way to make salsa.
While I love homemade tomato salsa, I also really like salsas made from other unlikely ingredients. With salsa you can pair up items that you wouldn’t think go together, but do – like my Fresh Strawberry Salsa where sweet strawberries mix with peppery balsamic, or my Tomato Mango Salsa for a savory, but slightly sweet, salsa.
Today’s Cucumber Mango Salsa breaks the rules once again. Cucumber, mango, and red onion dance together for a delightfully refreshing and mildly spicy salsa. It’s fresh and healthy, and one more way to add fruit and vegetables to your diet. Serve it as a relish on top of grilled salmon or pork tenderloin, or as a stand alone appetizer with tortilla chips. I like it as a dressing for a southwest salad of greens, beans, corn, and grilled chicken or fish.
This Cucumber Mango Salsa has a lot going for it. It’s made at home so you control the ingredients – no artificial preservatives or other additives and no salt, making it a healthy alternative to store-bought salsa and salad dressings. It’s versatile: relish, appetizer, or salad dressing. It’s flavorful and kid-friendly according to my family. Yup, it’s a keeper.
[Tweet “Try a new salsa today – fresh and healthy Cucumber Mango Salsa. Delicious!”]
Hints for the recipe:
- Mangos can be slippery and hard to cut. If you have trouble cutting a mango, see this video from www.mango.org. It’s the easiest way I’ve seen to cut a mango.
- Feel free to adjust the seasonings according to your own taste. Some people prefer salsa without cumin and coriander. If you don’t like it, just leave it out. You will still have a great tasting salsa.
- The amount of heat you like in your salsa is up to you. Start with a small amount of red pepper, increasing little by little till you find the heat level you prefer.
What unusual ingredients have you used in salsa? Let me know in the comments below. I’d love to hear from you!
Cucumber Mango Salsa
- 1 English cucumber peeled and chopped (about 1 1/2 c.)
- 2 mangos I used Ataulfo peeled and diced
- 1/2 c. diced red onion
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 3 Tbsp. lime juice or juice from one fresh lime
- 1 tsp. honey
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/16 tsp. red pepper more if you like it spicier
- 1/4 tsp. coriander
- 1/8 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
- 1/3 c. fresh cilantro chopped
- Toss together the cucumber, mango, red onion, and garlic in a medium sized bowl,
- In a separate small bowl or jar whisk together the lime juice, honey, cumin, red pepper, coriander, and black pepper. Pour over the cucumber-mango mixture and stir gently.
- Fold in the chopped cilantro.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate for later.