Lemon and Herb Marinated Chicken – Tender and juicy grilled chicken seasoned with lemon and herbs makes a bright, flavorful main dish that the whole family will love. Quick and easy to make too!
Lemons go with just about anything. If you need to brighten the flavor of a dish, a dash of lemon juice or pinch of lemon zest will do the trick. And if you mix lemon with a little olive oil, garlic, and herbs, you can make a wonderful vinaigrette or marinade. But what makes it healthy? With homemade marinades like this, you can control how much sodium you add. That’s a positive in my book, since most people tend to have too much sodium in their diet. The other bonus is avoiding additives you may find in store-bought marinades. For those reasons, I find homemade marinade a healthy option over ones I buy in the store.
Today’s recipe uses all the ingredients mentioned above (plus a couple more) to make a Lemon and Herb Marinated Chicken. It’s easy and simple to make. In addition, if you choose to grill it, clean up is a snap – all positive things if you’re on a tight schedule to get dinner made. I’ve also tried this marinade with pork chops with great success – and that was on the stove top.
Prep Ahead Tips
For pre-prep you can juice and zest your lemon ahead of time and have your herbs measured out in a separate bowl. Be sure to stay safe and keep everything in the refrigerator. When you’re ready to start dinner, make the marinade and pour over the chicken. Marinate the chicken in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or so. Then grill, bake or cook the marinated chicken on the stove top. See the full directions in the recipe below. Enjoy!
Lemon and Herb Marinated Chicken - Tender and juicy grilled chicken seasoned with lemon and herbs makes a healthy, bright, flavorful main dish that the whole family will love. Quick and easy to make too!
35 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
50 minTotal Time
Yields 4 to 8 servings
- Juice of 1/2 lemon (about 2 Tbsp.)
- 2 Tbsp. dry white wine
- 3 small garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. parsley
- 1 tsp. basil
- 1/2 tsp. thyme
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. fresh lemon zest
- 1-2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- In a small bowl mix together the lemon juice, white wine, garlic, salt, parsley, basil, thyme, oregano, olive oil and lemon zest.
- Place chicken in a plastic zipper bag or other container. Pour marinade over chicken and marinate in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- When ready to cook, heat grill to medium. Place chicken on grill grates, close cover. Cook for 3 minutes and then turn the chicken a quarter turn, do not flip. Cook another 2 minutes and then flip chicken to cook on the other side. You should have some nice grill marks on the cooked side. Grill another 3 minutes, turn a quarter turn, then flip and cook another 2 minutes.
- Check the internal temperature of the chicken with a food thermometer. Chicken is done when it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F. If it hasn't yet reached that temperature continue grilling until it does.
- Remove from grill and serve immediately.