If you have ever been to a potluck dinner, you’ve likely seen a wide array of salads in the line up. Tossed salad, macaroni salad, Jello salad. You get the picture. Broccoli salad is one of those dishes that commonly graces the table at a potluck gathering.
It’s always been a favorite of mine. I like the crunchy green broccoli mixed with sweet, chewy raisins and bits of crisp, smoky bacon. I wanted to make something similar here at home, but a little healthier – without the bacon and mayonnaise-based dressing.
Along with the broccoli, I kept in the traditional red onion and raisins. Chickpeas (garbanzo beans) and toasted almonds added a nutty flavor that paired well with the other ingredients, and added an extra dose of protein and fiber. Instead of mayonnaise I used a sesame oil/rice vinegar dressing spruced up with a little smoked paprika, galangal powder (Thai ginger), and red pepper. The result was a broccoli salad that’s healthy, attractive, and filled with flavor – a winner for a meal at home or as a potluck dish.
Do you have a favorite potluck salad? Tell me which one you like best, and why, in the comments below. I’d love to hear about it.
If you liked this post and recipe, I’d love it and really appreciate it if you’d pin it, tweet it, or share the post in one way or another.
This healthy broccoli salad is filled with flavor - just right for a meal at home or for a potluck dish.
- 3 c. chopped fresh broccoli, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 c. diced red onion
- 1/4 c. golden raisins
- 1/2 c. chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- 3 Tbsp. sesame oil
- 1/4 c. rice vinegar
- 4 tsp. honey
- 1 1/2 tsp. lower sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp. galangal powder (Thai ginger)
- Dash of red pepper
- 2 Tbsp. sliced almonds, toasted
- Toss together the broccoli, red onion, raisins, and chickpeas in a large bowl.
- In a separate small bowl add the sesame oil, rice vinegar, honey, soy sauce, smoked paprika, galangal powder, and red pepper. Whisk together until well blended.
- Pour dressing over the broccoli mix and stir until all salad ingredients are covered with the dressing.
- If serving immediately, sprinkle toasted almonds on top and gently fold into the salad. If not, refrigerate until ready to serve and then add the almonds just before serving.
You May Also Enjoy These: